Your Physical Security
In your exploration of IT Security, it's important to remember physical security. Below are individual actions which will not only help protect the expensive equipment in our buildings, but more importantly improve the physical safety for all
- Refrain from leaving though secondary exits (i.e., loading docks, side doors, etc.) unless you have a legitimate business need to do so.
- When you do use secondary exits, make sure the exit is properly locked when you leave the area.
- When you enter or leave the building after hours, check to make sure that the door has locked behind you.
- When you enter or the leave building after regular hours, or secure areas (such as machine rooms or other locked areas) at any time of the day, do not let individuals unknown to you into the area.
- Close and lock your office or office-suite door after hours.
- Remember to close and lock office windows.
- If you do not recognize an individual in a secured area you should not hesitate to ask for identification.
- Contact Security if you feel threatened for any reason.