If you click "Skip Setup" during the Keep account secure window when logging on, you will not be able to do a password reset later. You must complete the set up of your verification methods to avoid having to contact IT to reset your password when you need it.
The Network ID (NetID) is a Windows Active Directory account that is uniquely assigned to each Connecticut Community College (CCC) student, faculty & staff. It serves as your login to many CCC computing and networking services including the Login Portal.
If you are a student, your NetID is composed of the following two items:Username: BannerID (without the "@")
Example: A student with a BannerID of @87654321, will have the following NetID:
If you are a staff or faculty member, your NetID is composed of the following two items:Username: BannerID (without the "@") Domain: @CollegeDomain
College College Domain Asnuntuck ACC.COMMNET.EDU Capital CCC.COMMNET.EDU Gateway GWCC.COMMNET.EDU Housatonic HCC.COMMNET.EDU Manchester MCC.COMMNET.EDU Middlesex MXCC.COMMNET.EDU Naugatuck NVCC.COMMNET.EDU Norwalk NCC.COMMNET.EDU Northwestern NWCC.COMMNET.EDU Quinebaug QVCC.COMMNET.EDU Three Rivers TRCC.COMMNET.EDU Tunxis TXCC.COMMNET.EDU System Office COMMNET.EDU
Example: A faculty member at Capital with a BannerID of @01234567, will have the following NetID:
You can find it using the NetID Lookup Utility.
The initial password for all new NetIDs will be based on a combination of personal information (birth date and social security number). Specifically, the following three items will makeup the initial password:
- 1st three characters of birth month (with first letter capitalized)
- Ampersand character - &
- Last 4 digits of Social Security Number
So, for a user with a birth date on 10/24/79 and social security number of 123-45-6789, then the initial password would be:
NOTE: Note: If you don’t have an SSN on file, you will get a system generated initial password and will need to Contact Us to get it set up. .
Refer to the Reset NetID Password for more information.
In order to reset your NetID password, you need to have already setup the security verification methods that you want to use (i.e. phone, email, authenticator app, security questions).
Use this link to view your security info:
After logging in, you may see the page above with security methods listed (which you can modify) or it will guide you through setting them up (i.e. phone, authenticator app, security questions, etc). These are what you will use to reset your NetID password. Refer to this Microsoft documentation if you need help.
However, if you see this error:
or this error:
It means your account has not yet been enabled to use the new authentication method. Contact us for assistance if you receive this error.
Do you want to be able to reset your password if you forget it? Please pay attention to this and make sure you setup your verification methods (i.e. do NOT click "skip setup" when asked to setup your verification methods) otherwise you will have to contact IT to reset your own password.
If you see this after logging in:
It means you need to configure your security verification methods that you want to use (i.e. authenticator app, phone, email or security questions) for resetting your password. Clicking Next on the "More information required popup" will guide you through setting up your security verification methods. Refer to this Microsoft documentation if you need help.
This page may show up after you authenticate if there are no methods pre-configured. We suggest that if you have not setup your verification methods at this point (maybe you clicked "skip setup" in the past), that you open an InPrivate or incognito window and setup your methods now by visiting the "My Sign-Ins" page.
Do not click "Skip setup", otherwise you will not be able to use the Self Service Password Reset and will need to contact us to change your password.
Instead, you have a couple of choices here:
- Click Next in order to configure the Microsoft Authenticator app now.
- In a hurry and don't have time to setup the app now? Click "I want to set up a different method" instead and configure it to use phone call as your method. Then later, when you have time, configure the app by visiting the "My Sign-Ins" page.
If you've configured the Phone or the app, we also encourage you to add an email so that you have another method of verifying if you do not have access to your phone by visiting the "My Sign-Ins" page.
Once you setup the security verification methods that you want to use, you will be able to use the Microsoft Password Reset Tool to reset your NetID password! Refer to this Microsoft documentation if you need help.
To see what you have listed for security verification methods visit the "My Sign-Ins" page:
This page will show you all the security methods you have configured. You can add more methods by clicking the "Add Method" button. Again, we recommend adding an email even if you have the phone and the app already configured.
There are two similar but slightly different error messages, so please pay attention to the highlighted section.
If you are getting this error:
It means you have not yet setup the security verification methods that you want to use (i.e. phone, email, authenticator app, security questions) for resetting your password. Once you setup the security verification methods that you want to use, you will be able to use the Microsoft Password Reset Tool to reset your NetID password.
However, if you are getting this error:
- Password must be at least eight characters.
- Password must be complex and difficult to guess. A password must contain characters from three of the four categories:
- Uppercase characters (A through Z)
- Lowercase characters (a through z)
- Numeric digits (0 through 9)
- Special characters (for example, !, $, #)
- Password must not contain all or part of the user's NetID account name.
- Cannot use your name in any part of the password (i.e. Robert123!).
- Password must differ from previous passwords.
- Password is forced to change every 90 days, but users have the ability to change them sooner.
The following are a few suggestions for creating a secure NetID password:
- Randomly pick alternating uppercase and lowercase vowels and consonants. Add in a digit or two; (e.g., eBiC92oD)
- Combine three and four character words with at least one digit between them. This will create passwords that can be easily remembered but difficult to crack (e.g., Egg123Salad).
- Randomly pick a book, poem, or song. Select a phrase from the work and use the first character of each word in the phrase as your password. Add in at least one digit, or change some of the existing letters to digits or special characters. For example, the phrase "Four score and seven years ago our forefathers..." might become this password: 4s&7yaof
If the password you select does not meet the requirements specified above, you will get the following error message and be asked to try again:Your password must be at least 8 characters; cannot repeat any of your previous 24 passwords; must contain capitals, numerals or punctuation; and cannot contain your account or full name. Please type a different password. Type a password which meets these requirements in both text boxes.
If you have any questions, please click here to contact the Online Help Desk.
A student's NetID is CREATED within a couple hours of admission. Course enrollment needs to occur soon thereafter for NetID to retain active status.
A student's NetID becomes ACTIVE shortly after that student is recognized as current.
A student is considered current if he or she is enrolled in a recent or future course. Recent course enrollments include those with course end-date within the past 90 days. For CREDIT enrollments, it includes those with course end-date within the past 180 days.
A student's NetID becomes INACTIVE soon after that student is no longer recognized as current.
CCC faculty and students: click here to contact the Online Help Desk.
CCC staff: click here to find the appropriate support contact for your college.