Update August 2016:We are in the process of moving our Anti-Spam protection from Proofpoint to Microsoft Office 365, therefore your mailbox may be protected by one or the other or both during the migration.
This document is a step-by-step document on how to use the Proofpoint End User Digest. Refer to the Information page for general information on the anti-spam solution implemented on our network. Refer to the FAQ to answer specific questions you may have.
Refer to the Office 365 Email Security page for questions related to email security features in Office 365.
The messages in your quarantine in your End User Digest are defined as probable spam by the anti-spam software and were quarantined for you. You are sent an End User Digest so that you can review what is in your quarantine and take appropriate action if necessary (add to safe list, add to block list, release from quarantine, etc.) Messages will be removed from your quarantine after 7 days.
You will receive a digest in your inbox twice a day, Monday through Friday at 8:00 AM and 3:00 PM. You will not receive a digest if none of your mail has been quarantined during that timeframe (this is an "empty digest") although if you prefer you can manage your settings to receive an "empty digest".
The End User Digest displays a list of email messages that have been added to your quarantine since the last time you received a digest.
The quarantine is sorted by score (for more information on spam score, read the FAQ). At anytime, you may request a digest that contains a list of all messages in your quarantine (steps are shown below). The Full End User Digest is sorted by date.
Click here to see a sample End User Digest.
The following sections outlines the features of the End User Digest and shows you how to:
You can apply the following actions to messages in your quarantine:
- The Release action releases the message from your quarantine. The message is then delivered to your inbox with the subject "[Released]" followed by the original subject of the message.
- The Safelist action release the message and adds the sender of the message to your personal Safe Senders list. Future messages from this sender will not be sent to your Quarantine and will be delivered to your inbox even if the message is determined to be spam.
To apply an action to a message in your quarantine:
- Click the appropriate link to the left of the message that you want to take action on. For example, click the Release link for a message to release it. Click the Safelist link to release the message and add the sender to your personal Safe Senders list. You will receive a confirmation email showing that the user was added to your safelist.
- A browser window opens to let you know the request is being processed. Once the action is completed and you see "Processed Successfully" in the browser window you can close the browser window. Error messages will also appear in this window. For example if you try to release a message you've already released, you will get the error "Message already released".
From your End User Digest, you can request a new digest at any time without having to wait for the scheduled time when digests are sent. This digest will show you all messages that are in your Quarantine sorted by date. The link is found in the top menu of your End User Digest.
To request a new digest:
- Click the Request Full End User Digest link in the top menu of your End User Digest to process a new digest that contains all your quarantined items.
- A browser window opens to let you know the request is being processed.
- Check your inbox for the Full End User Digest.
Other than requesting a full end user digest or waiting until you receive one from the scheduled digest creation (8 am and 3 pm), you may also click on the following link that allows you to log in with your email address and your AD password to manage your Anti-spam account:
From your End User Digest, you can request your safe and blocked senders list at any time. The safe and blocked senders list is a list personalized by you.
Email addresses listed in your Safe List will never be sent to the spam quarantine even if they are determined to be spam by it's spam level. Email addresses listed in your Blocked List will never be delivered to your inbox even if they are determined to not be spam. Email from these addresses will appear in your spam quarantine.
You have control of who is listed in your safe and blocked senders lists and can modify or view either list at any time as long as you have access to a previous End User Digest (or wait for the next one to be sent). The link is found in the top menu of your End User Digest.
To request your Safe/Blocked Senders List:
- Click the Request Safe/Blocked Senders List link in the top menu of your End User Digest to be sent a list of who is in your Safe and Blocked Senders lists.
- A browser window opens to let you know the request is being processed. You can close this window when you see "Generated Safe/Blocked Senders List".
- Check your inbox for the Safe and Blocked Senders list.
Safe/Blocked Senders List Summary
The Safe/Blocked Senders List Summary shows you what email addresses you have placed on either the Safe or the Blocked Senders List. If you used to have Safe and Blocked lists configured and notice that the lists do not exist anymore, check out the FAQ item for that problem.
Click here to see a sample Safe/Blocked Senders List.
You can perform the following actions from your Safe/Blocked Senders List:
When you have entered an email address, click the Save button. You can continue to add entries to the list and when you are done, click Close. When you are done, you can close the Manage My Account window.
- To delete an entry from either your safe or blocked senders list, click Delete to the left of the email you want to remove from the list. It will bring up the Manage My Account window (see below) and it will automatically delete the entry from your list. You can close the Manage My Account window if you are done modifying your Safe/Blocked Senders Lists.
- To add an entry to either your safe or blocked senders list, from the Safe/Blocked Senders List Summary that you requested, click Add on the right side of the blue bar for "Safe Senders List" or "Blocked Senders List". It will bring up the Manage My Account ready for you to enter an email onto the specified list. There are 2 ways to enter an email address:
- Manually typing in the email address.
- Copying an email address from somewhere else by selecting the email address and pressing Ctrl-C. Then paste by clicking inside the field to the left of Save and pressing Ctrl-V.
From your End User Digest or your Safe/Blocked Senders List, you can personalize your Anti-spam settings by clicking on Manage My Account found in the top menu or you may also log directly in via this link:
You will be prompted to authenticate and will log in with your email address and your NetID password. Do not login with your NetID username. If you have any problems authenticating, contact your local IT department.
From the Manage My Account window, you can perform the following actions: modify safe and blocked senders lists, view your email aliases and modify your digest settings.
To modify/view your Safe/Blocked Lists:
- Click Lists in the lower, left panel to configure your Safe and Blocked Senders Lists.
- Click either "Safe Senders List" or "Blocked Senders List" in the upper, left panel to view the contents of your safe and blocked lists in the right window. You will see your current list of emails for that list. NOTE: The check box to the left of each entry allows you to edit or delete a particular entry. Select the entry's check box and then click Edit or Delete in the top menu to edit or delete the selected entries. The check box is not an indication of an entry being active or not.
- Use the New, Edit, and Delete buttons on the top of the page to add, change, or delete entries to your lists.
To modify/view your digest settings:
- Click Profile in the lower, left panel then Settings in the upper, left panel.
- Enable or disable "Send digest even when I have no messages in my End User Digest" to disable or enable receipt of empty End User Digests.
- Enable or disable "Send digest with new messages in my End User Digests." If you disable this, you will no longer receive End User Digests on a regular scheduled basis. The only way you will receive End User Digests is if you manually request them from an old End User Digest. This may be forced on in the policy and you may not be able to disable this.
- Click the Save button or link to save your changes.
To view your email aliases:
- Click Profile in the lower, left panel then Account in the upper, left panel.
- You will see a list of all your email aliases, if you have any. You cannot make changes to this list.